Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Next Stops Seattle, San Francisco, and Oakland

Right now I'm about 10 days away from games 13-15 in my quest. It'll start in Seattle on May 24. I'm a bit disappointed that I'll be taking the trip entirely on my own, but that won't take away from my enjoyment. I plan these trips on weekends so that they won't interfere with possible work. Strangely, I'm turning way work on Memorial Day weekend in order to take this trip. I'm going to get into Seattle early Saturday, probably before my room will be ready. I suppose this isn't unusual, but it means that I'll likely leave my bags behind while I check out the city and not actually enter my room until close to midnight. I'm kind of wishing I chose some place close to the ballpark, but I am taking a morning flight Saturday, so I'll appreciate being close to the airport then. I've been given the advice to go to Pike Place Market and recommended several places for good beer. I love good beer and Seattle is known for having it.

I did change my hotel for San Francisco, however. My flight gets into SFO at 11:41 AM, only 1 hour 24 minutes before the game is supposed to start. While renting a car might get me to the ballpark faster, you really don't want a car in San Francisco. So I'll take the BART. I was originally booked at the Hilton Union Square. That was a fine choice and I'd get Honors Points. The problem was that after getting off BART at Powell Street, it was the opposite direction from AT&T Park. Sure, it was only a blocks in the wrong direction, but I'm going to be so tight on time that I don't want to waste any of it. I could just go right to the stadium, but I want the option of dropping my stuff off at the hotel.

I found a hotel that is on the way to AT&T, the Mosser. It got good reviews and is less expensive. I'll have to share a bathroom with two other rooms, but I don't see that as a drawback. Will there really be a conflict? They do have complimentary Wi-Fi, something Hilton doesn't offer to us Blue members. Like Seattle, San Francisco is known for good beer. The Mosser is less than a half mile from ThirstyBear Brewing Company. 21st Amendment Brewery is also nearby but it's usually packed after Giant games.

Memorial Day brings me to the tricky chaser question of "what do you do about your bags on your last day?" Like many chasers, I'll check out of my hotel in the morning, go to the ballpark in the afternoon, and then fly home in the evening. Answer #1: Leave the bags in the car. Great in some cases, but I'm not renting a car. Answer #2: Leave the bags at the hotel. That doesn't work here because my hotel is in San Francisco and the airport is in Oakland, a short shuttle away from the ballpark. Answer #3: Drop them at the airport. I considered this, but I don't want to check my bags. Do they still have airport lockers to put stuff. Answer #4: Bring it to the game. No one wants bulky bags at the game and most teams won't allow you to have them either. But what will they allow you to have?

The bags must be 16" x 16" x 8" or smaller. That's actually fine by me. I'm only gone for two days, so I can easily fit everything in a computer bag and a small duffel. I have one that's smaller than 16" x 16" x 8" that'll fit some socks, underwear, and toiletries. I'm golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment