Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Game 23: August 30, 2014 Marlins at Braves

My trip started in Atlanta, with a non-stop on Delta that got me there plenty early. Atlanta has some crazy summer weather. While I was waiting for the hotel shuttle we had some torrential rains. It also had some crazy looking people, due to something called Dragoncon. I had originally wanted to be in Atlanta on Labor Day because it just didn’t make sense to miss my Phillies if I was planning a trip to Atlanta around Labor Day. The Marlins weren’t home during the weekend and I couldn’t start the trip on Sunday in Tampa. It was a day game and I would’ve had to add an extra day to the trip in order to make that. Starting in Atlanta on Saturday just made more sense.

My choice of the Hampton Inn was a good one. Easy airport and MARTA access. MARTA comes often and I took it the Five Points station. From there you make a short walk and come across large balls and then the Braves shuttle. There were a bunch waiting.



Obligatory Turner Field selfie

They had a pitching machine for kids as you walked in. These are great because kids always like these.

The concourse was wide. Another thing I like. I hate having no room to walk like you do in Los Angeles and Oakland.

The Braves even have their museum like St. Louis, New York, and Kansas City do.

While I wasn't in the mood for waffles, I appreciated the originality.

I have no idea who Kevin Rathburn is, but a steak sandwich sounded like a good option.

And it was pretty good.

Turner Field wasn't that crowded and I think there are way too many outfield seats. It blocks what I'm sure would be a good view. Does every stadium have a Budweiser party deck now?

It was U.S. Navy night, not to be confused with Old Navy night. They are a Rays sponsor. I'm sure they have one there.

My view was blocked by the people in front of me. I had to crane up or around them. I've never noticed this at every other stadium, so I think it's not just a tall guy in front of me. I think the distance between rows is a few inches less at Turner Field and that makes the view tough. Boo!

The Marlins shut down the Braves 4-0 behind some nifty pitching by Cosart.

Turner Field has some positives and some negatives, but there's one thing that vaults it to the top of the list, the Tomohawk Chop. There's nothing like doing it to encourage a Braves' rally. It's one of these things that's unique that you can only get in one place, like singing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" in Baltimore or hitting a beach ball at Dodger Stadium. I even bought myself a foam Tomohawk!

No comments:

Post a Comment