Saturday, April 25, 2015

Game 28: April 23, 2015, Orioles at Blue Jays

Do you remember what I was doing last year during this week? I was going to five games in four days, all of which were cold. When you live in LA you forget how cold it is in the rest of the country. Well, I certainly wasn't caught without warm clothes this time. I made my one and only trip to Canada in 1979, when I was a teenager. So obviously my experience was limited. First thing you notice is that Canada is actually a different country! They make you go through customs and stuff.


And it wasn't one of the easier cities to navigate. They're working on a train from the airport to downtown but it's not done yet. So the choices were to cab it or take a bus to a subway to another subway to walk. I did that, but it was a chore especially because I was hauling a suitcase. I did do the obligatory stadium selfie.


I checked into the Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, which is actually part of the stadium. It was a little more expensive, but I decided I wanted the experience. While the hotel was certainly convenient after the game, you wouldn't know you were part of the stadium. I recommend staying a few blocks away at an equally nice hotel. The hotel does have a bar where you get a view of the game, however.


While I'd read the beer selection wasn't very good it was surprisingly better than I'd been led to believe. I enjoyed the beer I got and the jerk chicken sandwich was also very good.



Unfortunately, there were no cup holders for me to put my beer in. Pretty much every stadium has them now.


Some people suggested that I get a hotel room facing the field and watch from there. Those rooms were about $200-$250 more than your standard room and they give you the worst view in the park. I wouldn't want to sit out there at all, let alone pay an extra $200 to do it. My seat cost $37. I suppose if you had 8 friends to invite up to your room, it might make sense. Look at this view.


Of course, Josh Donaldson nearly hit one up there.


And the Blue Jays were scoring a lot.


And Ace the mascot dropped by.


The Orioles scored four runs in the ninth, but the Blue Jays held on.

The roof was closed and that's understandable. It was about 8 degrees Celsius and that's apparently also cold in Fahrenheit. I still hate baseball indoors. The atmosphere stinks. The stadium wasn't really a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment