Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Games 8 and 9: Dallas and Houston

This project would be easy if I could do travel every day and I had the money to do so. But would it really be as interesting? I didn't think so. So far I've managed to attend 7 games in 7 cities while taking only 3 flights and spending 3 nights in hotels. I asked myself whether I could go to any more stadiums before the season ended on September 29. I noticed that both the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros were home the final weekend. I looked up flights and saw that that Virgin was having a fare sale between Los Angeles and Dallas. They don't fly to Houston, so there was no fare sale there. Yet going to Houston and Dallas on one trip was way too enticing.

I had some miles in my United account and saw that I could do the trip with miles.


United could provide me a flight into Dallas that'd get me there 1 hour 40 minutes before the game and then fly out to Houston the next morning, go to the game, and then catch a flight home. I'd see two games, spend one night away, not miss any work days, and even have to hire a dog walker for the minimum number of walks. Sure, the timing is a little tight, but wouldn't that make it more of a challenge?

So now I needed to find a hotel for the one night in Dallas. The best hotel would be one that'd pick me up at the airport and then, a few minutes later, take me to the game. All complimentary, of course, so I could save some bucks. I found it, the Hilton Arlington. They told me they'd do both, although they indicated that I might not get a reservation on the trolley to the game because I arrived so late. I'll work on that one. The Rangers, currently in free fall, are in the playoff hunt and probably will be then. They'll play the Angels. I was able to find a ticket in Section 322 Row 5 for $25. Reasonable.

My flight the next morning would be easy. I made 6 AM and 7 AM flights during my last trip. 9:23 AM? Got it. I'd get into Houston at 10:30, well before the game. But this one wouldn't be as easy. I don't know anyone in Houston, so I'd get no help there. Unlike Dallas, where I could use a hotel between the airport and hotel, there's be no hotel to help me. And the distance to the stadium is 20 miles, greater than in Dallas. I decided to rent a car. I found that Dollar would rent me a Midsize SUV for $24. That'd be much cheaper than a cab. TaxiFareFinder.com indicated a one way trip would be $52.60. Even with parking, this would be cheaper than a one way trip to the game.

I looked for tickets and they were very expensive. What? To the last game of the season for the horrible Houston Astros? It turns out they're playing the Yankees. This will be their only trip into Houston this year and, in fact, will be the first trip since June, 2008. Those ex-New Yorkers are likely chomping at the bit to go to see the Yankees play. I'm guessing half the crowd will be Yankee fans. At least. So my seat is in Section 216 Row 9 and will cost me $68. That's a lot pricier than the Rangers and that game will count. Still, I got to two games and pay of hotel, car, game tickets, parking at LAX, and dog walkers for around $300. I have to like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment