Friday, September 27, 2013

Texas Trip Cancelled

I got a message this morning from "texasrangers.com".

The starting time for Saturday's game against the Los Angeles Angels has been moved from 7:05 p.m. to 11:05 a.m. CT due to the threat of inclement weather later in the day.

Argh! Why "argh?" My flight was scheduled to arrive in Dallas at 5:22. In the absence of a time machine, I'd arrive after the game ended. I looked at United's flight schedule and the only way I was going to get to the game before it started was to fly tonight. I don't think anyone had a Saturday flight that'd get me in before the game started. So I'd have to cancel my Friday night plans, find a hotel for an extra night and leave for the airport in about six hours. That wasn't a good choice. So I decided to cancel my trip.

All I can say is thank heaven for the Internet. In the span of the last hour I cancelled my flights, hotel, rental car, LA airport parking, and relisted the game tickets on Stubhub. I might only have cancellation fees on the United tickets as change fees when I rebook. The baseball tickets are another story. You can't cancel those.

I relisted my $25 Ranger ticket for $17, of which I'd get $11. If it sells, and it might not, I'll lose $14. The Rangers are still in the playoff hunt. So I'd guess someone will want to go. The Astro game is a different story. My ticket cost me $58 because it'll be the Yankees first trip to Houston in three years. There are a lot of Yankee fans in South Texas who likely have been chomping at the bit to see their team. What makes the game special is that Sunday will be Mariano Rivera's final game. The Astros will honor him. Demand for this game is huge. I listed my ticket for $118, of which I'd keep $88. That seems like a lot, but it includes the fee I pay and the fee the buyer pays. Regardless, if I sell this ticket and the Ranger ticket goes unsold I still would come out ahead. That's not a big profit considering all the time and effort I've put in, but considering that before the Internet I would've likely taken a bath by canceling so late.

No comments:

Post a Comment