Saturday, July 12, 2014

Game 19: July 11, 2014 Twins at Rockies

I usually don't have the time (or Internet access) to do a blog post in the middle of a trip, but I got a text from United saying my flight will be three hours late due to "flight crew availability." Really? The good news is that by taking an early morning flight, I have enough give in my day to weather a three hour delay. The game starts at 6:15 PM. If the flight does arrive (at the new) on time, I should make it to the game on time. Of course this means no relaxing swim and I might not get there in time to get the bobblehead. Again. [Sigh] Why is the bobblehead important? I should've mentioned that I get a souvenir from each stadium and a giveaway is certainly unique. I'll have to show you pictures of what I have some time soon.

That's for today. Back to yesterday. Denver lacks a light rail system and the only choices for ground transportation from the way distant airport are taxi, Super Shuttle, bus, and rental car. The bus would've been the least expensive. The problem is that it takes you to several locations nowhere near my hotel. And it doesn't run that often. So I was going to be a prisoner to their schedule. I decided to rent a car. They were expensive, but I was checking back. I found a reasonable price at Hertz for "the manager's special." I broke leg a few years ago and it's not as strong as it once was. So I normally like to rent an SUV due to my difficulty getting out of low cars. But I figured how bad could the manager's special be? And I only needed it to drive to and from the hotel. They gave me a mini-van.


That's right. A low gas mileage car designed for seven passengers. Just for me. Woo woo! I drove to the hotel, relaxed a little bit, and then the rain came. Hard. I waited until it dissipated and then walked to the stadium. I anticipated that I'd be able to do this and it was less than a mile away.


Here's the obligatory selfie. Apparently when you take a selfie like this letters are reversed. No, Coors didn't turn them backwards.


Just beyond the gate was a Blue Moon brewery. Now, I don't know if they actually brew beer there, but they had all the equipment to do so.


So I got myself a Blue Moon Farmhouse Red and a burger. Both were actually quite good. I do wish I could say the same for the weird pretzel they sell. I decided to try it because it was something new. Not the best choice. But I was able to get taste out of my mouth by having gelato. Yes, real Italian gelato. That I forgot to take a picture of.



I inspected the stadium. I like wide corridors, although they got very crowded when it started to drizzle.


The kid's area was closed? Before a game? Why?


They did have the speed pitch and a batting cage, something fans also enjoy.



The stadium itself has held up very well. I wish they had more of a view in the outfield and do wonder why they need four levels in right field, including a roof top bar that's new this season. I didn't check it out, but it sounds great.


Of course, no trip to Coors Field would be complete without a few dingers. Troy Tulowitzki was happy to do so, hitting one, and even gave me a spectacular fielding play to kill a Twins rally. The Rockies triumphed 6-2.


I'm positive on Coors Field, although it's not as nice as some of the more recently built stadiums.

No comments:

Post a Comment