Friday, July 18, 2014

Game 21: July 13, 2014 Red Sox at Astros

Sunday was a tough day for my carefully planned trip, but I saw all nine innings of the baseball game. So even when things go wrong, there's enough cushion. I'd scheduled a Super Shuttle to pick me up at 7:00 for a 10:00 AM flight. Because I scheduled it so early, a driver arriving 40 minutes late didn't put a serious crimp into my plans. Because I still arrived at the airport early. When I got there, I discovered that my flight was going to be late. Again. It was only a 45 minute flight where the plane flies back and forth from Houston to Dallas.

So we didn't land until 11:45. The game started at 1:10 PM. I figured I had time. I was down in ground transportation around noon and went over to the information booth to find out where the #50 bus left from. The guy informed me that if I took the bus I'd never make the game. I told him that I looked it up that the bus only took 40 minutes. He said that it was on a Sunday schedule, the next one didn't leave for some time, and I wouldn't make it. Okay. I needed alternatives. Rent a car? $105. Nope. Taxi? $35. Super Shuttle? $26. I chose taxi because I had no idea where the Super Shuttle would take me or how long it'd take. The cab took me to the game. That was pricier than I would've liked, but the situation warranted it. And I did make it with time to spare.

Minute Maid Park feels like a train station when you walk in. Maybe it's the archway.


The stadium did feel big and comfortable and I did have a club seat. I think club seats are my favorite. The food is better up here, it's uncrowded, and air conditioned. Of course that'd be a bigger deal in an outdoor stadium.


I got myself a carved turkey sandwich with chips, along with one of their beers on tap. I don't remember which one.


The food was certainly better than Globe Life, but not so great.


I must admit that the hand scooped ice cream with toppings was yummy.


Then I sat in my seat. The Club Level is one level up. So it's further than the lower level seats but you can retreat inside and still see the field if it's hot. Which it wasn't in a dome. When I'm inside I don't feel like I'm in a baseball stadium. It feels like a warehouse.


They do have the train. It probably does something, although I have no idea what since the Astros didn't score. What's up with the Citgo sign? Is this Fenway?


The Red Sox demolished the Astros 11-0. It was ugly. Unless you were a Red Sox fan.


I took the #50 bus from outside the stadium back to the airport. It did take about 40 minutes. I admit that it went through some questionable neighborhoods and the other passengers looked dicey, but no one tried to rob me and it cost a whopping $1.25. I had plenty of time before my flight. In fact, I had even more than I expected. Because my flight was... 2 hours late leaving. Yes, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment