Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Game 20: July 12, 2014 Angels at Rangers

When you fly and your flight is late there's only one place to be, the airport. It's the only place that you'll get a straight answer about what's going on and the only place that you can make a change easily. As I continued to get texts that the flight was running late Saturday, I felt uneasy. So I went to the airport, arriving four hours before when my flight was supposed to leave. I discussed the situation with an agent and she got me on a later flight on American. It's a good thing that I did that when I did because I looked at the monitor I saw the flight was cancelled. I'm sure everyone else on my flight was trying to get on another flight at that point. If I'd waited, I never would've gotten to Dallas. This plane got me there.


I've preached that you try to get to the next game as early as you can, in case you are delayed. My flight arrived at 4:10 and I made it to the hotel at 4:45. I actually had a half hour to relax before the hotel shuttle took me to the game. The Hilton Arlington was a little more expensive than some hotels, but there probably aren't many that'll shuttle you to and from the airport and also to and from the game. I saved more there. And the Hilton is a great hotel. I wish I'd been there earlier to enjoy it, but the late flight shows that even when something goes wrong I can still make it to the game.


Here's the obligatory shot of me in front of the ballpark. One thing I judge ballparks by is how easy it is to get around. Are the corridors narrow like AT&T Park or wide like Citi Field? Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to constantly be jostling with people as I walk. Not only was the corridor wide, but it was open, with lots of sunlight shining through. I didn't feel like I was in the basement the way I did at Fenway or Busch.


Of course, one important thing for me is the quality of the beer. Do they just have Budweiser beers or are local microbrews on tap the way they were at Camden Yards or Progressive Field? While these microbrews weren't all local, they provided some variety.


I must admit that I liked that they had Texas size food. I didn't partake, but I found it appropriate.


And they like to slap Nolan Ryan's name on things too.


Text

I went for the barbecue chicken sandwich and I'm sad to say that it was terrible.


Anyone who has ever been to a day game during hot weather can tell you how unbearable it is. One mistake I made was that I didn't go for indoor club seats in Oakland, Kansas City, and St. Louis. It was very hot outside. I expected things to be bad in Dallas since the temperature at the 6:15 first pitch was still over 90 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't feel that warm. I was in the shade of late afternoon shadows and there was even a breeze. I sat in my seat and took a look at centerfield. I enjoy when you have a view at the ballpark. The Yankee Stadium outfield is littered with billboards, but Camden Yards enables you to see the warehouse. Granted, Comerica you see buildings beyond Comerica Park but at least they're nicer than billboards. Well, Globe Life Park surprised me. No view and no billboards. The outfield is covered with offices. Maybe this is done for a good reason, but it is ugly. O.Co Coliseum ugly.


I liked right field better, however. They only had two levels and the scoreboard was very nice.


So were the Angels. They were robbed early in the game by two nice Smolinski catches, but broke it open with five hits in the sixth.


The Angels triumphed 5-2 and I leisurely walked out to the Hilton shuttle to take me back to the hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment